Salsa dancing. Watching it is awesome. Learning how to do it? Something else entirely. I’ve watched it on shows like Dancing with the Stars. I’ve seen it at festivals and in bars in Washington, DC. Heck, in 2007 when I studied abroad in Rome, Italy, my proud Puerto-rican roommate, Gigi dragged me to half a dozen salsa clubs to get her fix. But last night, I went to Richmond’s best-known Cuban club, Havana 59 and no habla salsa. Salsa gives you a rush of Cuban adrenaline and makes you coming back for more. Here are 8 reasons why:
- The margaritas actually have tequila in them.
- There’s over 20 different tequila varieties to choose from.
- The men ask any woman to dance, and not just the hot ones.
- Mexican men are surprisingly patient, polite and guiding.
- The atmosphere is 100% authentic –– with real palm trees, hanging lights, and a massive wooden dancing floor.
- The rooftop bar overlooks Shockoe Bottom.
- Yes, Cuban cigars, fried plantains and chips & salsa are all readily available.
- The music is as flavorful as the salsa: old-school 50’s Cuban mixed with modern stuff.